Unlike a natural birth, women rarely dream about the perfect caesarean birth (!), often recommended to us on medical grounds or forced upon us in the form of an emergency c-section, it can feel like the decision is taken out of our hands and its something that simply happens to us.
I have always loved a good quote (they literally got me through my marathons – “each step I do is one less I have to do!”) and when it came to my c-section and recovery, it was no different.
What makes a good quote about birth?
Ultimately one, that speak to you. No pregnancy is the same, and no birth is the same. Read through these, ignore the ones that don’t chime and read and re-read the ones that speak to you <3
Whether you are about to have a c-section or have just had one, take a read of these…
C-section pain quotes
- “The pain of a c-section is temporary, but the love and strength it reveals are everlasting. It’s a reminder that the most beautiful things in life often come after enduring the most challenging moments.”
- “Recovery is a process. It takes time. It takes patience. It takes everything you have got.”
- “Today I will not stress over things I cannot control.”
- “You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.”
- “Every scar tells a story of overcoming, and a c-section scar is a badge of honour that signifies the birth of a mother’s strength and the beginning of a new chapter.”
- “Just breathe. Everything will be ok.”
- “Stay strong.”
- “The pain of a c-section is a reminder that even in our most vulnerable moments, we have the power to endure, heal, and triumph.”
- “We don’t know how strong we are until being strong is the only option.”
- “Self care is how your take the power back.”
- “A c-section is a journey through pain, but on the other side lies the joy of holding your precious miracle. The pain is a pathway to a love that knows no bounds.”
- “I didn’t choose to have a C-section. I chose to do whatever it took to get my baby out healthy and safe.”
- “Everyday is a new day. Take a deep breath, smile and start again.”
- “It’s ok to mourn your hopes for a vaginal birth. Don’t let anyone tell you that your feelings of loss are not valid just because they don’t understand.”
- “One step at a time. One foot in front of the other. I’m going to get through this, one way or another.”
- “Through the pain of a c-section, a mother discovers her incredible capacity for resilience and the depth of her love, proving that even in the darkest moments, light and beauty can emerge.”
- “It’s ok to be scared. Being scared means you are about to do something really brave.”
- “In the face of pain and challenge, a woman’s courage shines brightest. A c-section is not just a procedure; it’s a testament to the incredible strength within.”
Recovering from a c-section is really painful, especially if it was an emergency c-section. Here are a few tips that made me feel a lot better.
- Make sure you keep on top of your pain relief – set an alarm if needed.
- Wear loose clothing (ideally with buttons down the front for breastfeeding), dresses are the best as you only have to think about one item of clothing, followed by high waisted trousers.
- Listen to your body – if your scar hurts while you are doing something, that is a sign that you are pushing your body too much.
- Have a small bag or box of all the things that you might need at an arms reach – a hairband, lip balm, hand cream, snacks, water bottle, jewellery pouch (for when you are actually having the c-section) and any other little pick me ups that you love.
- With the caveat of the bullet point above, try to get moving as soon as possible. I remember the nurse getting me up and about hours after my c-section, I was very apprehensive but I appreciate that being slightly uncomfortable is definitely the lesser of two evils when the other option is DVT!
- Only lift something as heavy as your baby for the first 6 weeks. I appreciate this is super difficult when you already have a toddler but it will only lead to more problems down the line if you don’t listen to it.
For now, congratulations if you have just had your baby and enjoy all those newborn cuddles, you have a lifetime of doing normal life so try and enjoy your newborn bubble for as long as you can. <3
No sweat mama, you’ve got this <3