What I am about to talk about can literally change your day in just 5 minutes. I generally do it everyday and really notice when I don’t. I am of course talking about mindfulness. Embracing mindfulness not only alleviates anxiety and stress but also sharpens cognition, improves attention, and promotes better sleep and who doesn’t need better sleep?
I’ve used this uncomplicated mindfulness method for as long as I can remember, and I’m eager for you to experience its benefits as well.
- Find a place you can relax and ideally won’t be disturbed.
- Settle into a comfortable position, whether sitting, standing, or lying down.
- Bring awareness to the body by breathing in and out deeply a few times.
- Direct your attention to the physical sensations of what touches your body—clothes, chair, floor, or bed.
- Observe any sensations, be it buzzing, tingling, pressure, tightness, temperature, or itching.
- Do a body scan, I like to do it starting from the feet and working up to the head. For each big muscle, focus on it, then tense it, and release.
- Each time your mind wanders (and it will be a lot when you first start), notice that it is happening and bring your attention back to your sensations or your body scan.
- At the end, take a moment to bring your attention back to your breathing and your body as a whole.
- Open your eyes and mindfully continue with your day, or if its the end of the day, have a restful sleep!
I recommend building this into your daily routine. I used to do it before going to sleep in the evening but since we have had the boys, I do it first thing in the morning. I then also do it create a space for calm amidst the chaos when things feel overwhelming.